Upper Mustang Trekking
Upper Mustang Trek is located north of Annapurna and at an average altitude of 4,000m is geologically and culturally part of the Tibetan plateau. The valleys are arid and dry with colorful rock formations containing many cave dwellings high up in the cliffs.
Upper Mustang is a restricted area and up till 1992 it was forbidden for foreign visitors to enter the kingdom. Nowadays foreigners are allowed, but to enter Upper Mustang they have to buy a permit of US$ 500 (to be arranged through a trekking agency and valid for 10 days, each additional day costs US$ 50). there are still very few people (about 700 trekkers each year) visiting Upper Mustang as a result it is one of the few places left where one can see undisturbed Tibetan culture.
Trek To Upper Mustang start from Jomsom which fly 25 minutes from Pokhara. After arrive Jomsom You follow the famous Kali Gandaki River upstream, partly walking in the river to Kagbeni. From Kagbeni the restricted area of Upper Mustang starts. However, it is worthwhile to pay a visit to the famous pilgrim destination of Muktinath before heading north into Upper Mustang. From Kagbeni the trek goes north wards, after 4, 5 days trek, you will reach Lo Mangtang. Spend one extra day in Lomanthan and return. When you return there are partly different way via Dhakmar, crossing 2 passes of around 4,200 m. Close to Dhakmar you can find the oldest Tibetan monastery in the world, the Lo Gekar Monastery. Lo Gekar Monastery was built in the 8th century by the famous Tibetan magician Guru Rinpoche. He had to kill a powerful demon first and the blood of the demon has painted the rocks around Dhakmar bright red.
Mustang is a remote semi-independent Tibetan Kingdom with a walled capital called Lo Manthang. Upper Mustang was once part of Tibet and was used by the salt caravans crossing the Himalaya into Nepal. It became an independent kingdom in 1380 and the current royal family can trace their lineage back to this time. In 1960’s Mustang was a strong hold for Tibetan Khampa guerrillas fighting the occupying Chinese forces? CIA supported these fighters and secretly trained some of them in the US.
Trekking Duration: 18 days
Mustang Trekking days: 10 days
Trek Grade: moderate
Max altitude: 4210m
Mood of trek: Tea house / Camping
Best Seasons: March – November
Minimum group size: 2 pax
Day 1: Arrival in Katmandu. We will meet you at the airport and Transfer to the hotel and brief about the trip. Evening Dinner with Nepalese Kitchen. overnight Hotel in Kathmandu.
Day 2: Prepare Mustang Trek Permit, document. Free day, May be interested Sightseeing in Katmandu Valley, ( Monkey temple, pasupati temple, Boudha stupa and Katmandu Durbar squire.;
Day 3: Kathmandu to Pokhara by Bus/Car or plane. Bus Take 7 hour and Plane take only 35 minute.
Day 4: Fly to Jomsom from Pokhara and trek to Kagbeni
Day 5: Kagbeni to Chele
Day 6: Chele to Sangboche or Gilling
Day 7: Sangboche or Gilling to Ghami
Day 8: Ghami to Tsarang;
Day 9: Tsarang to Lo-Manthang;
Day 10: Lo-Mangthang - visiting surrounding areas.
Day 11: Lo-Manthang to Tsarang
Day 12: Tsarang to Ghami
Day 13: Ghami to Samar via. Nya-La pass;
Day 14: Samar to Kgbeni
Day 15: Kagbeni to Jomsom;
Day 16: Fly back to Pokhara - Rest
Day 17: Drive back to Kathmandu (Rest day shopping)
Day 18: Departure from Nepal.
- Pick up from Airport and Transfer to the hotel. by private car/van/Bus.
- 3 Night night’s standard Hotel in Katmandu.
- Katmandu Valley sightseeing by Government license holder tour guide.
- Katmandu to Pokhara/ Kathmandu by stander tourist bus.
- 2 Night stander hotel in Pokhara.
- Pokhara to Jomsom / Pokhara by scenic flight with airport tax.
- Annapurna conservation permits.
- Special Mustang Trekking Permit US$ 500 per person for 10 days
- Your stander meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) during the trekking.
- All necessary paper works.
- All accommodations in lodges/tea houses during the treks.
- Trekkers' Information Management System (TIMS) Permit.
- An experienced, helpful and friendly Guide, porters (1 porter for 2 clients). And Their well paid Salary, Food, Drinks,
- Accommodation, Transportation and Insurance for the Guide and Porter.( Guide flight Pokhara / Jomsom / Pokhara.
- Arrangement of Emergency Helicopter service which will be paid by your Travel insurance company.
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- All government taxes.
- Service charge.
- Drop to airport by car/van/Bus.
- Nepal entry visa fee (you may easily issue the visa upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport Katmandu).
- You will require 2 passport size photos.
- Your Travel insurance.
- Food in city like Katmandu and Pokhara. also in the case come back from Trek early.
- Your personal expenses.
- All the alcoholic Drinks.
- Extra night Hotel in Kathmandu or Pokhara if arrive or late departure. also in the case come back from Trek.
- Sweet desert
- International airfare and airport departure tax.
- Tips for the guide and porter.